Integration
Some months ago, I read this FT article relating to the influx of Brit into southern part of Spain, in search of more sun & slower life.
*It mentions "There are 2 kinds of Brit who come to Spain: those who come to integrate and those who create a mini-Britain for themselves in the sun. In UK they are in control, but here, problems are magnified."
Now think I can understand & feel the meaning of "integration"...
What is integration?
It means doing things the way they are being done here, eg. you speak the language here, you kiss the way they kiss here, you eat sandwiches the way they eat here etc. All in all, you've to assimilate the culture here & let the lifestyle sip into you...
Don't also give yourself excuses just becoz you're foreigner. Things will not work out well if you always think yourself as being different from the community. Don't also refuse it just becoz you don't like it, or just becoz of your silly little pride or values. It's not a matter of cans or cannots, but just a matter of wants or don't-wants. If you really want something, the whole world conspires in helping you achieve it! (from "The Alchemist") ;)
So I conclude that, from now on, I will be a goodie little Belgian (at least for these few months)... ;)
*Note: not meant to target anyone in particular, but it just serves as an illustration for the source of my thoughts...
No comments:
Post a Comment