辉煌史
What are some achievements in Canada that I should be proud of? eg. being the festival director of TO/SG film festival in 2009; participated in the bike ride; visited my dream cities in North America, and many many more etc...
The film festival was an unbelieveable achievement for me that I still can't imagine how I did it at that point of time, it was like having 2 full-time jobs and life seemed crazy all days, but still it fell into place somehow. Economy was bad at the time, fund was low, and sponsorship was tough, in fact we started without much to count for in our account. Many challenges at the beginning, and even more obstacles along the way...
First, I had to look for amazing people to form the team, committed and enthusiastic people! Next, we worked on the marketing strategy, and started targeting many seemingly-potential 'cash cows' to get our milk. At the same time, we were trying to define the theme for the film festival, and getting some basic designs for posters and other printed materials.
One of the most important missions for us was to find suitable venues for the screenings and opening reception. I remembered it was snowing at that time and a few of us had to comb Little Italy to survey suitable places for the reception. Sometimes, the place is too pricey, or too small, or too out of the way...it was tough...but finally after a few weeks, we got the most perfect place for our party!
Next, we called for films submission in Singapore. Ferrying the CDs back to Toronto took quite some time. Watching the films was exciting! 'Pretending' to be a film critic was empowering! Final selection of the films was kind of 'whew' for us - as this set the substance of the festival...
Next, the pricing was determined and the box office set up. Content was then updated to the website, program booklets, and all other publicity materials. Press release was sent to targeted TV and radio stations, newspapers, magazines, facebook, online media, film festival partners, sponsors and other partners. Public Relations (PR) was the last boost to draw attention and to push for sales before the event, we had to do our best in this final straw!
Also, it was my glamourous moment when I did a recorded radio interview, a recorded TV interview with the largest Mandarin TV station in Toronto, and finally a LIVE TV appearance on a local TV station. Indeed, a very special experience for me!
The opening gala was a big blast!!! It was pouring cats and dogs - yet it was full house in the theatre and we had to turn people away who walked in for the show. We managed to hook up online with the director, and had him speaking to the audience. Also the reception was pretty! The turnout was very good, so good that the rental fees was waived! Haaa!
I love these stuff we did for the film festival:
- poster and postcard design
- website design and layout
- program booklet
- festival video clip
- full house of opening gala
- cash & inkind sponsorships
- partnerships with major film festival and community organizations
- opportunities for appearance on TV and radio
- attendance by film makers from HK and Spore
Overall, looking back to then, I think that was a very successful event for the team! Have I had more time, I could have enjoyed the process a bit more. Anyhow, I still loved what we achieved for the film festival! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment