Friday, November 02, 2007

The Singapore Complaint Choir

Happened to be browsing the website of The Arts House, and came across The Singapore Complaint Choir. This time, they are recruiting for members of the Choir... ;)

The first time I heard of this Choir was during my trip to Estonia when Triin and I visited the art museum that was featuring the various Choirs from different countries. I had seen videos of the Complaint Choirs from Helsinki, London, St. Peterburg, Hamburg etc. It is very interesting. Basically they sing about the complaints. The complaints are put into a melody, and presented to the public on the streets. Any complaints they have eg. terrible weather, horrible boyfriends, no jobs, money not enough etc, can be part of the songs.

In a way, these complaints are some kind of reflections of the local society and the problems faced by the local people. It's an original and refreshing idea, that helps to express our frustrations in a fun & creative way... ;)

No comments: