Tuesday, July 01, 2008

singing praises

Found this article pretty interesting...

Agreed that it is interesting to hear what other people think of your own country.

In such a cosmopolitan place like Toronto, many people are from many different countries. It is common for people to ask “where are you from?” in terms of where do you originally come from.
When I said I’m from Singapore, there are a few interesting responses I got:
~ "You can't chew gum in Singapore, yah?"
~ "Oh it's a very clean country!"
~ "Hmm...very strict country, tough rules, with caning?"
~ "I have never been there before, it is a small country."
~ "Yes, I remember the airport, it's such a wow!"

From these responses, it is easy to guess, the first impression that foreigners have about the country. Sometimes, I do have to spend some effort explaining to them why, why and why, while being as objective as possible ;)

Also there is another point of emphasis in the article.

Leaving the country does not mean that the country is bad. For me, it’s just a matter of going to the outside world to widen one’s horizon, and to gain a more rounded experience. For some people, they left their home country to come Canada, in search of better lifestyle and higher salary, that’s a different case.

Going to a country means that that the country, overall, must have done something good enough that attracts so many highly professionals. I always recognize that Singapore is indeed a good enough place for high quality lifestyle, in terms of career prospects, arts and culture, lifestyle and living etc.

Therefore, the grass is green on both side of the fences. I still have my choices...

No comments: