Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Before & After...

About 8 weeks since I am back in Singapore...

In fact, I did not set any expectations for my return to Singapore, also had no expectations about my re-integration. I thought of subjecting myself to the flux of everything that will hit me, both hard or soft or none. It was rather uncomfortable though, because I feared the unexpected and uncertainties, if any if there are. Maybe I should just go with my feelings and submerge in the everything I went through...

Twenty minutes before landing in Singapore, was bit of scared. I didn’t know what to expect. Will my family change, are they looking older? What will my friends think of me? What has happened to them all this while? ... There was no time to think about other stuff, as the plane had already landed and I was back home now! :) & :( & :!

Weather
The first impact is the weather. Bright & sunny, great I like that! But not the stickiness and humidity, it puts me off. I miss the cooler weather there in Belgium. On looking back, I actually enjoy those times during the cold winter. I like that feeling of being cold outside, and then upon return to the house, it is the feeling of being warm and cozy inside the house.

Direction
Another change is the direction change. I am used to the right-hand drive rules in Europe, but now it is the opposite here. I have to stand on the left side of the escalator; I have to look right-left-right before crossing the street; the front passenger seat is on the left side of the car etc. Getting 'right' on the left side of the road is pretty difficult then... ;)

Size
As I was walking down the street, I felt like I was so big, I mean big as in fatter and taller than any other girls strutting their way down the street. It's like most girls here are so small and skinny, or they are of the same size as me. Maybe I am more used to being the tiny one back in Europe then...or maybe it's really the fact that I become fatter then!!! :( Therefore, quick resolution for this holiday is to go gym and work it out!!!

Tired
Also fighting jet lag for the first few days, can't sleep at night but tired during the day. I tried to adjust according to local times as much as possible, sleeping and taking meals at specific times etc. Also thinking of him and missing him very much. I think of him, can't sleep well, and missing those times together...

Phobia
Not used to crowded places. There are always people around, everywhere seems so crowded. I had the phobia of shops closing early here, so I was always trying to get my errands or shopping done asap before sunset, just like in Brussels where shops closed by 6pm on weekdays and closed on weekends. Nevertheless, its a nightless city here, shopping, entertainment, restaurants still carry on as usual...*phew*

Reality
Also the wave of reality hit me hard in the face. Job, money, the material world, boyfriends, girlfriends, family, status, gadgets etc. Maybe this is how it is like in Singapore, competitive, practical, and still competitive.

Mandarin
Realized that I always speak Mandarin here during the first few weeks, especially to the Chinese friends here. Only then I realized that it was because I was used to speaking Mandarin to the Asian friends in Belgium, while most of the time I had to speak English to any other people. Therefore, it is just automatic here that Mandarin spills when talking to the Chinese ones...

Construction
Old ones go away while new ones come along. Lots of constructions going on too, Chinatown, Chua Chu Kang, Clementi, Orchard etc. New shopping malls, new condomiums, new infrastructure, new skyline, new casinos, new restaurant chains...Singapore is moving fast & rapid!

Went to Esplanade some times ago, surprised that the Theatre By The Bay is no longer there now. There used to be outdoor concerts just beside the waterfront, very nice atmosphere then. Also adding to the skyline is the Singapore Flyer, the ferris wheel is still under construction, but seats are already fully booked for the Valentine's Day!

Neighbourhood
There seems to be more ang-mos living in the heartland neighbourhoods now. Usually these ang-mos maybe under expatriate packages and tend stay in the town area or in the eastern side of the island. However, this time I noticed more ang-mos around in the northern and western areas. Most likely this is due to the incredible high rentals, that has been increasing at a ridiculous rate (ie. about 2-3x in a year's time) that people are moving out of the town areas.

Rain
It was the rainy season these few weeks. Rain here means showers and thunderstorms. Thus umbrella is a must, be it for the rain or the sun, if it is shining. In fact, I was quite surprised by the sound of thunders a few days ago, as I don't remember getting one in Belgium then. But in Belgium, rain means drizzle and wind. Thus no use for an umbrella, either it becomes too bothersome to shelter against those meaningless drizzle, or it gets blown away by the wind.

Service
Of course, nowhere can have better customer service than in Singapore. Felt so pampered and amazed by the quick service here, fast, smiling, warm. I am been deprived of such thing for a year then, can't always get such good services everywhere in Europe... ;)

Transport
Great transport system here as usual, fast and regular. Only a bit of irritated by the announcements on the train, or the MRT. Or should I be happy that finally I can understand all these announcements in English? Back in Belgium, the Metro is not as 'naggy', bit of quieter though. Anyway, even though there are announcements, I don't understand too, only manage to catch some station names here and there...

Nightlife
Alcoholic drinks are too expensive here! Together with entrance fees, it is even more expensive then!! Nevertheless, those pubs/bars/discos are definitely more poise, spacious, and uniquely-themed. Best news is that they are all smoke-free!!! :D Comparatively, the bars in Belgium are usually small yet cozy, and heavily stenched in cigarette smoke. But still, when you are with the right crowd, it doesn't matter so much...

Names
Getting used to my name Liyan now, rather than Chin which I was using in Belgium as a more convenient way to introduce myself to the ang-mos.


These are just some of the random observations that took me some time to realize, bit by bit, phase by phase, there may be more, and I am still waiting to discover more...

No comments: