Sunday, March 18, 2007

3 Months Evaluation

Previously, did a 3-months evaluation for AIESEC in Singapore. This is an extract of some of those that I shared with the members back in Singapore...it was mid-January then...

How has your life been transformed by your current traineeship?
a) Being even more independent and proactive.
There are a lot of things that I need to do it myself. To cook for myself, to find my way around, to get use to being lost, to look for friends, to allow myself to make friends easier, to look for entertainment, to be resourceful, and solving problems myself.

b) Being flexible to adapt to less favourable situations.
Less customer service here, less clean environment, shops close early, slow services, people don’t always speak English etc. These may seems to be small little things, but without suitable adjustments in the mindset or the ways of handling them, one will be affected very much, because these are closely linked to one's daily lifestyle.

c) Being more open to accept cultural differences.
Issues such as gay, lesbian, divorced, cohabit are not so acceptable in Asian cultures but here, such issues are common and in a way, people are more open and receptive.

d) Being daring to explore yet not compromising on yourself.
Being in a foreign environment, everything is new and fresh and it is a good chance to explore beyond your comfort zones and try things that you have never done before in the past. However, it is also important to realize your limits and not compromise your own values. It is all about moderation.

Whilst having the youth, time and energy, young people should really explore and discover about the world and about themselves, as they move around and interact with the different elements in their environments, they may discover more about themselves...

Has the traineeship given you a new perspective to see your life as a whole?
This is a tough, open-ended and broad question. The traineeship is definitely an eye-opening and enriching experience, in terms of personal and professional development.

I remembered being in Portugal for a training, and I was sitting on the cliff, admiring the sunset by the seaside. The wind from the sea hit against my face, and the warmth of the sun hit onto my face. It was a mix of cold and warmth.

At that moment, I feel that I am a lucky person. I appreciate what I was granted. I know I strive hard for what I want and I get what I want. I have a good job in Singapore. I was doing something that I like. I managed to go on an AIESEC traineeship, a dream that I always wanted to achieve as an AIESECer. I got into one of the biggest and most reputable companies which is also one of my dream companies. I am in the continent that I always wanted to be in. And I am also going to do something that I like, like what I did in Singapore too. I am treated fairly and able to enjoy benefits and compensation like any other staffs. I am given the chance to be in Portugal for training, and able to enjoy such awesome scenery. I am lucky to be able to climb those cliffs, to see such lovely scenery, to be alive, to have feelings and able to feel such feelings, to have dreams and able to fulfil my dreams...

Though it may sound old-fashioned, it is important to appreciate what you have, the people, the family, the friends, the job, the home, everything you have. Be appreciative. Show appreciation.

***** ***** *****
Soon another 3 months will be gone and it will be the next 6-months evaluation then...time really flies along fast...soon I will be at the cross-roads again seeking out the directions of my future...

No comments: