Sunday, June 24, 2007

Visit to Zürich & Luzern

24 - 26 May 2007

As I approached my last destination of the backpacking trip, I thought I ought to enjoy this final destination to the best I can. Afterall, Zürich, or Switzerland in general, is one of the top countries on my most wanted list. I arrived in a night train, from Bologna, after about 9 hours ride, it was also a pleasant surprise that Swiss train provided breakfast :)

Some introduction of Zürich...
:Quoted: Zürich is the largest city in Switzerland, with 22% of foreigners. The city has developed into a commercial as well as cultural centre, a metropolitan area that offers a world-leading quality of life, thanks also to environmentally sound urban planning and inspiring natural surroundings.


This is the Central Station, spacious & clean, easy to navigate, efficient information system, everything looks great! Art pieces can be found on subtle display somewhere around the station, such as this fat & fancy angel hanging from the ceiling! Took this picture in the twilight of dawn...

Directly out of the station is the main shopping street Bahnhofstrasse, which leads onto the financial business district. Of coz, big banks like UBS and Credit Suisse litter around the area, together with exclusive boutiques, department stores and street-side cafés.

When I first arrived, I was happily walking along the street, simply just admiring the city life in the early morning. Then a lady hurried from behind (yes, from behind indeed) and asked me in English (yes, in English, not German) whether I needed help with directions. So I guess, with my huge backpack & a little slip of paper in hand & the constant subtle wow-ing I was doing, yes, indeed I looked like a 101% first-timer virgin in Zürich. So although I already knew my directions (how can I get lost in such a perfect organized environment?!), I still 'asked' for directions, just not to disappoint her :D Haahaa...I really loved her sooo much!!! Haahaa!!! In fact, I was awfully impressed with the Swiss!!! Salute to them!!! :D

The twin towers of the Grossmünster is the most recognized landmark in Zürich. The church is considered romanesque in style, with carved portals featuring medieval columns.


Zürich is a city that is well integrated with nature, with mountains and lakes surrounding the city. Limmat River and Sihl River run through the city, and eventually end up in the Lake Zürich. The water is clean, clear & blue, no litter, no awful smell, it's just so perfect for an afternoon's break from office, for picnic, or simply sun-tanning!!!


Switzerland is known to have the most number of clear water fountains in Europe. There are fountains in every corner you go, and you can simply drink from them, so interesting! There is even the smaller ones for little birds and cats...


Niederdorf district of the Altstadt (Old Town) is vibrant with bars, restaurants, antique shops and boutiques. The old town street will lead you into Lindenhof, an oasis of relaxation in the Old Town, with a magnificent view of the right bank of the Limmat River.

While happily swinging myself away on the swing, met a man with his little girl, so ended up playing and chatting with them. He was a film director, been travelling around for filming, and been invitied to Cannes and Pusan Film Festival, awesome stories he shared! He said it's good travelling alone, because you could easily speak to anyone, and made new friends! True...somehow...


Bratwurst and Rosti potatoes, must try!!!


On some buildings, sometimes, the windows are elaboratedly designed. Also in shops, there are specially designed metal jingles hanging outside, each unique to the business in the shop.


Zürich's very own mountain: Uetliberg (873m) gives a spectacular view of the town, lake and overall region. It is a favorite venue with skiiers who want a perfect sliding experience during winter.

Not having enough of Switzerland, I went to Luzern that is southwest of Zürich, just 2 hours train's ride. Photogenic Luzern has everything a Swiss city needs, a lake, a medieval cobbled old town and some snow capped mountains. Due to its location on the shore of Lake Lucerne within sights of Mount Pilatus and Rigi, Luzern is traditionally considered first and foremost as a tourist destination. One of the city's famous landmark is Chapel Bridge, a wooden bridge originally built in the 14th Century.

Skyline of Luzern. Mountains around Luzern are much higher and closer around the city, than in Zürich. Lakes are still as clear & clean as ever!


In Luzern, you should not miss the famous Golden Round Trip to experience the lakes and mountains. The trip is a day excursion to Mount Pilatus, via the ferry to Alpnachstad and then with the world's steepest cogwheel railway to Pilatus Kulm (7000ft) to enjoy the fabulous views of Luzern, and it is completed with a spectacular ride in aerial cablecars back to Luzern.

Really enjoyed the ferry trip...the constant range of mountain views, the snow-capped alps, the cool breeze, the clear water of the lake, just so comfortable!!! As the ferry hopped from one stop to another, you could catch little villages located at the foot of the mountains. Oh, I was really mesmerized by those little houses, they really looked so adorable!!!


Finally reaching Mount Pilatus! And awesome view from the top! It was actually falling small ice balls, as we advanced towards the top on a cogwheel railway, cold windy & wet!


The last part of the trip was the cablecar ride, down from the top of Pilatus. I was alone in the cablecar, at some stage, I heard some 'dang dang dang' sound as I was passing over some fields. Soon I realized it came from those cows feeding on the fields below! So I see, cows really wear bells and they go belling away! :D

Last touristy sight before leaving is the 'Dying Lion of Luzern'. The Lion Monument is hewn out of natural rocks in memory of the heroic death of the hundreds of Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution. It was once described as 'the saddest and most moving piece of rock in the world'.

Generally, think the Swiss girls are really pretty babes, one of the best looking people I have seem among the many European cities. Maybe it is due to the large number of foreigners, and hence the mixed breed, and thus those good looking Swiss people.

Overall, think I really enjoyed Switzerland...
° Firstly because it is my last destination, so I make it as if it's special to me, and I told myself that I should enjoy it as best as I can. Thus, this is a mindset thingy... ;)
° Secondly because all previous countries are city tours, with less nature stuff, unlike Switzerland which has the mountains and lakes all within the city life. Thus, something different that I enjoyed... :D

Maybe Switzerland could be a good option to advance...for career for quality lifestyle...

No comments: