Visit to Prague
15 - 17 May 2007
Actually, looking back now, I think it was quite a crazy experience in Prague, though there were some piss-off hiccups then, but now they seemed fun. Ok, it was smooth journey from Münich to Prague, it was a night train and I can't really sleep well. Prague is much colder and wetter than in Münich. Locals don't speak English, so it's bit of difficult to communicate, so maybe that's why customer service (esp. train stations) sucks!!! However, the very first person I spoke to was a nice old man who stopped by voluntarily to help me with directions, and I really appreciated it very much.
Some introduction of Prague...
:Quoted: Prague is the capital city of the relatively small Czech Republic which lies in the central Bohemia, neighbouring with Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Poland. The Vltava River flows through the city in the length of 30km, its maximum width being 330m. Bohemia is a historical region in central Europe, occupying the western and middle thirds of the Czech Republic.
Charles Bridge (Karluv Most) is something not to be missed. Founded in 1357, the Old Town bridge tower is often considered to be one of the most astonishing civil gothic-style buildings in the world. The bridge is decorated by a continuous alley of 30 statues, most of them baroque-style, erected around 1700.
Charles Bridge forms an important connection between the Old Town and the Prague Castle, which stoods at the opposite end of the bridge.
The Prague Castle includes gothic St. Vitus Cathedral, romanesque basilica of St. George, a monastery and several palaces, gardens and defence towers. Aside from being the seat of the Head of State, Prague Castle is a significant cultural and historical monument. It houses the coronation jewels, the remains of Czech kings, precious Christian relics, artistic treasures, and also historical documents. St. Nicholas Church, located near to the castle. It is the most significant building from the Prague-Baroque period, with a dominant dome and a belfry, built in 1704-1755.
An early gothic building from the 13th century, the Old-New Synagogue (Staronova Synagoga) is one of the oldest and most active Jewish quarters in Prague. The Jewish property is characterized by the Star of David.
Old Town was the original place of settlement in Prague, and it is the most beautiful quarter in the city. Small narrow streets is the characteristic of Old Town.
And along those little narrow streets of Old Town, art galleries, ornaments, home-made crafts line along the street. Some very common art & crafts include wooden puppets, egg shell paintings...
This is another interesting building designed by Frank O. Gehry, the same designer for those buildings in Düsseldorf. This building is located along the Vltava River, in a wave-like shape.
Around the square, there are lots of cafes and hotels. Think the hotels serve very quality and affordable food, even though it is in the heart of the city, amongst the large number of tourists. Last day, I spurged on good food, but end up having not enough Czech money to pay for what I order. In the end, I had to give whatever I had to the boss, he cooked me whatever that was worth, and he even gave me a free beer to go with, haahaa, so kind!!! :D
Generally, I did not sleep well throughout my stay in Prague.
° 1st night: Spent the night in a hostel room with 3 American navy guys! They were fucking hilarious bunch of jokers, they went party, came back fucking late, and told me about their fucking navy stories in Japan, and so they went on fucking about their stories the whole night...
° 2nd night: No more American guys, but still I can't sleep, dont't know why! Maybe I was thinking too much, and also maybe it's too noisy outside...
Decided to spend the last night in the train station, coz I need to catch the first train at 5am to Vienna, I don't want to miss my train. So happily I got my backpack and went to the station. Who knows, the station was already locked when I reached there at 1am, shit!!! Ok loh, never mind, I could camp just along the passage way outside the station, no big deal, I was thinking to myself. So there I was, I was almost freezzzed to death, it was damn fucking cold out there!!! Then police came checking on me, also homeless freaks pacing up and down...So it was cold, fear, and no sleep again...
The night seemed to move on so slowly. That was like the longest night I ever had! So I spent my night reading this book 'A Long Way Down' by Nick Hornby, while I was still shivering away like a jelly. It is written by a British author, and there is this American character in the book, he is called JJ. The way JJ speaks reminds me so much of those American guys I met. They just like to add on 'fucking' to everything they say. It is just so fucking hilarious and funny!!! (yes, like this with 'fucking' in everything) All in all, it just gives me further affirmation of how Americans talk and behave.
Finally I reached the 5am point!!! Relieved & happy, I walked into the station, thinking that I must be the first passenger on board, hahaa! Who knows, I was in the wrong station!!! Shit, really fucking shit!!! I ran out the station, raced to the Metro, and dashed all the way to the other right station (called it Station B)!!! Sigh...the train left without me! I was just a second too late! Shit, so what I stayed overnight in the station, so what I go without sleep, so what I endure such cold, somehow I still miss my train!
Ok, never mind, let me stay in this Station B and wait for the next train. It's going to be coming at 8.30am, so I could have another few hours' sleep, in this nicer and cleaner station. As the hours passed by, hmm...don't feel quite right, so I asked around. As if there were not enough surprises for me, the station controller said that the next train would stop in the previous station that I was in before! Wah, I almost killed myself, angry with myself, also cold & tired & heavy bag! Ok it's shit again, I had to go back again! Alright, at least this time, I realized the mistake early, so in the end I still got onto the fucking train, finally...
Good job, spent the night in the station so not to miss the train, but somehow I still lost the train, such a clever girl I am!!! Indeed, a crazy wild goose chase...
2 comments:
nice description of prague.even i wud also like to visit it 1 day.well done dear.nicely written.
thanks, i think prague is as mysterious as you...
Post a Comment