OPS
Frankly, I can't find much to write about when I am supposed to do my 9 months evaluation for my traineeship here. So I made a trip down to the OPS (Outgoing Preparation Seminar) hoping to learn more about Belgium (B*), hoping to give more to outgoing trainees, and hopefully get some inspirations...
Topics of discussion during the OPS:
- Instances of frustration, happiness, saddness, and how you deal with it?
- Favourite person in your life, favourite food you ate...
- What are some of the sterotypes you have about the countries that you want to go to?
- What are the typical characteristics of your own country?
There was a presentation conducted by a Professor who wrote a book about the people of B*, with the concern that Belgians (Bel) are too modest so he hoped to bring out the self-awareness amongst the Bel, such that they become more assertive and proud of who they are. Below are some of the famous Bel who made an impact in the international arena, ranging from sport music gastronomy arts literature or fashion...
- Music: Toots Thielemans, the oldest living jazz legacy in Bel
- Cartoons: TinTin and Smurfs are created by Bel
- Literature: George Simenon, Amelie Nothomb are all Bel, often mistaken as French writers
- Movies: Spiderman's suit was designed by Bel
- Fashion: Personal fashion consultant of Mike Jagger and the Queen was a Bel
etc...
I also understand the unique position of B* in the European affairs. Because B* is small country, it does not have the power and tendency to dominate or influence other cultures, especially if it involves political interests. That's why usually international organizations are preferred to be headed by someone from smaller/diverse/non-superpower countries. This is also another reason why the European Commission is located here in B*, which offers a rather 'neutral' position to house the Commission.
Of coz, we also had interactions with local Bel who are planning to go overseas & local Bel who had returned from overseas. It's a lot of mutual learnings from one another. Eg. I shared my way of life in Asia (in fact, only Singapore & Malaysia), in exchange I also understood that last names in Latin America has an implication on social status, as some last names refer to higher social ranking which in turn led you to better job, higher pay...
Somehow I realized that I have become more established and stable now, in terms of relationships, I just feel like hanging out with some close friends, and I don't really want to meet new friends now. Maybe it's because I know that it's only 2 - 3 months left and I just don't feel like meeting new people then...
Overall, life's good so far, I'm really enjoying it now :D the last few months...
No comments:
Post a Comment