Monday, October 01, 2007

timid like a mouse

Had my closing appraisal today ;)

Boss 1 says that I'm too timid!!! *gasp*
...too modest, and often too strict with myself...
...because my self-evaluation is always lower than their should-be...

hmm, I thought it was the opposite!?!
I mean that part of being timid & modest, because...

Boss 2 used to say, flattery has no use on me
Guess I'm too thick-skinned to appreciate flattery...
...because I know I am good and need not be praised ;)

Side track abit...some learning points for myself - Got to learn how to compliment others and learn to appreciate compliments.

Ok anyway afterwards, was discussing with some friends, and we concluded that it could be due to cultural difference, I think so (since there is no statistical studies that I known of), not because of personality (or maybe yes, with a bit of personality reason in it). Asians tend to be bit more modest about their achievement and tend put themselves down, especially before their boss, as compared to (maybe) the americans. It is not because asians are not confident enough, but simply because it is not in the culture to claim credits, especially when most jobs are accomplished in team work.

Anyway, more learning points for myself - Actions say louder than words. Just do my best for everything, and people will recognize it, whether saying it or not. Also need to adjust the level of modest-ness according to culture and expectations.

No comments: